Seven and a half years ago I began searching for connections between the L.A. streets named for saints and the dozens of saints for whom they’re named. When I began, I had no idea what I would find – or even if I would find anything worthy of the time spent searching. Here I am, 100 paintings and eighty stories later, as this poetic and historical “road trip” through L.A. is fast becoming a book and a museum show. It feels good at this point to occasionally pull over by the side of the road and think....

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Nov 3rd - San Martin de Porres

Today we received the proofs for my book! My publisher, Heyday Books, in Berkeley, just Fedexed the proof from the printer in Singapore.

The layout is so lush, so rich and nuanced; so empathetic with the trust of the narrative and the paintings.

Totally apart from the fact that the artwork is mine, I love the look of this book. It has beauty, it has mystery, it has poetry, and it has wonder and pain.
When I met my publisher, Malcolm Margolin, he promised to be not
only a good publisher but a good friend. He has seriously undersold himself in both categories.
I am a very happy - and grateful - guy. Bless All the Saints. Here's to San Martin de Porres.

No comments: